Job Title: Principal
Job Status: Permanent/Full Time
Contact: Monsignor Ralph Chieffo, Pastor, St. Mary Magdalen Parish
E-Mail: (see below)
Description of the School
St. Mary Magdalen Parish established its school in 1965 with 86 students and it presently enrolls 378 students from PreK-3 to 8th grade. St. Mary Magdalen Catholic School was named a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence in 2018 as well as School of Distinguished Instruction by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 2022. The school was accredited by the Middle States Association in 1998 and renewed in 2007, 2014 and 2022. This Catholic Community is dedicated to academic excellence and the development of future leaders to be disciples of Jesus Christ. St. Mary Magdalen School has a dedicated Board of Limited Jurisdiction, which assists by providing support for the pastor and principal for the strategy and long-term health of the school. The school has an active parent community highlighted by a strong Home and School Association which plans monthly stewardship projects, educational and social events, and fundraising initiatives throughout the year. Our school is defined by its mission: “At Saint Mary Magdalen School, we are dedicated to being PASSIONATELY CATHOLIC and committed to creating a path to ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE for our students. Guided by the teachings of the Gospel and serving as a vital ministry of our PARISH COMMUNITY, we promote an engaging and nurturing environment in which to advance the full potential of each child, integrate our Catholic faith values and virtues, and nourish a STRONG MORAL FOUNDATION for a lifelong relationship with Jesus Christ.”
Qualifications and Experience
A dynamic, Christ-centered leader is needed to serve as Principal of St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Elementary School.
• Practicing Catholic in good standing in the Church;
• Strong commitment to Catholic Education and the teachings of the Church;
• Prepared to present the Catholic Church teaching and traditions;
• Pennsylvania Department of Education Principal Certification (earned or in process)
• Master’s Degree (earned or currently enrolled)
• Minimum five years teaching experience
• Administrative experience preferred
Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their expertise in the following: promotion of Catholic faith formation, academic excellence, promoting student life in and out of the classroom, strong leadership, and fiscal and financial management. This opportunity is best suited for a forward-thinking individual with innovative ideas. Specifically, the ideal candidate will:
- Serve as the primary agent for creating an environment that fosters Catholic faith formation, vitality, and viability.
- Inspire a committed faculty and an engaged student body to form a learning community inclusive of all stakeholders in the ministry of Catholic education.
- Promote Catholic identity, especially maintaining spirituality as a committed feature of the school day, instilling a commitment to Christian stewardship, and recognizing and strengthening relationships with the parish community.
- Model Catholic values and teachings as the basis of the school’s philosophy, mission, and policy statements.
- Promote a faith-based school community that is rooted in Catholic traditions and practices.
• Inspire a committed faculty and an engaged student body to form a learning community in the ministry of Catholic education.
• Create an atmosphere of rigorous academic standards, innovative teaching practices, engagement in learning, and achievement for all students.
• Be responsible for creating a climate that encourages the engagement of each student in the learning process while fostering a love for learning.
• Demonstrate a vision for the future of education and a proven track record in achieving academic success.
• Leverage technology as a communication and education tool.
• Lead academic initiatives related to curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
• Use student data to drive decision making in the classroom and as a school, including analyzing academic programs, supporting differentiated instruction, meeting the needs of all students.
• Promote an environment of continued learning and personal improvement in and out of the classroom, including stewardship and other extracurricular activities.
• Offer a variety formal and informal enrichment opportunities.
• Support school-related activities in which our students participate.
• Provide leadership and facilitates an environment which fosters the Catholic identity of the school.
• Use strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including the pastor, parents, parish staff, school faculty and staff, Board, and community members.
• Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills, including effective home/school communications using a variety of modalities. • Effectively and efficiently manage day-to-day and long-term operations of the school. • Manage faculty and staff to create a strong and positive school culture that values all constituencies.
• Supervise and evaluate faculty and staff, providing timely, meaningful. and responsive feedback.
• Effectively manage conflict. • Develop and oversee a professional development program that is relevant to the needs of the faculty, improves student learning, and ensures positive classroom environments.
• Effectively delegate responsibilities and foster shared leadership opportunities.
• Maintain a safe and secure environment for all.
• Collaborate in the efforts to actively recruit and retain students and qualified teachers.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY and FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
• Work with the school and parish community to support fundraising initiatives and enrollment campaigns.
• Demonstrate a competent and proficient understanding of school operations including budget management.
• Collaborate with the pastor and his designees to plan for short and long-term facilities management.
Interested and qualified candidates should send completed application Linked Here and all documentation specified in the application (scanned as one document*) to: SMMPrincipalSearch@gmail.com
Completed application packets must be received by: February 13, 2023.
*Updated clearances (FBI fingerprint, Child Abuse, and Criminal Background) should be obtained and submitted (in one file) to the same email address. (The clearances only may be sent after the application deadline.)
If the position is offered, the candidate will be required to complete the “Protecting God’s Children” training through the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Additional information regarding this training can be found here.
- Full Time