President – Archbishop Ryan High School
School Administrator Opening
Archbishop Ryan High School
11201 Academy Road
Philadelphia, PA 19154
The Archbishop Ryan High School Board of Directors and the Archdiocese of Philadelphia Office of Catholic Education (“OCE”) seeks a successful, dynamic, innovative, and results-driven leader for President. Archbishop Ryan High School is a Co-Educational Catholic High School in Northeast Philadelphia with a 50-year tradition of providing outstanding educational results.
The President will assume the role at an important time for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Strategic management and operation of the Secondary Schools is provided by Faith in the Future Foundation which has planted the seeds for innovation, opportunity, and leadership. The organization’s core purpose is “to equip saints for life in this world and the next.” To that end, the archdiocesan school system envisions itself as the world’s premier teaching mission of the Church and holds high standards for all members of the organization.
The President is appointed in collaboration with the Archbishop Ryan Board of Directors and the Secretary for Catholic Education. The President reports to the Secretary for Catholic Education in matters pertaining to the administration of the school and Archbishop Ryan Board of Directors per bylaws of Boards of Specified Jurisdiction in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
Knowledge, Skills and Responsibilities:
High School Presidents, as executive leader for the Archdiocese’s Schools, should expertly display leadership mastery in the following key dimensions:
- Catholic Education: Mission, Spirituality, Tone and Culture
- Vision and Leadership: Setting Direction and Accountability
- Building Relationships and Developing People
- Board Development, Fiscal Stewardship and Advancement
- Operational Management
Overview responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Alumni Association: The President seeks the advice and works closely with the Alumni President, Executive Committee and Board of Specified Jurisdiction.
- Board: The President seeks the advice and counsel of community leaders and parents through a Board of Specified Jurisdiction.
- Catholic Identity: Promotes the essential characteristics and fundamental values of a Catholic school.
- Communication: As the chief spokesperson, communicates the philosophy and programs of the High School to various publics, including working with parent groups and representing the school at civic, religious and other public functions.
- Development/Fundraising: Ability to show proven success with achieving fundraising goals. Must have direct experience in face-to-face donor solicitation at a high level, preferably with Capital Campaign experience.
- Enrollment and Development Management: The President collaborates with Faith in the Future, The Office of Catholic Education and key school staff in marketing and development initiatives to increase enrollment and retention. The President is responsible for meeting annual enrollment goals as set in collaboration with the Office of Catholic Education.
- Financial: Maintains oversight of financial operations and obligations of the school, working closely with the CFO.
- Institutional Advancement: Serves as the school’s chief fundraiser and main community contact. The President directs marketing efforts, recruitment strategies, fundraising programs, and alumni/alumnae activities in collaboration with the Office of Catholic Education Advancement Team, the Board of Archbishop Ryan and key staff. The President is responsible and works closely with all stakeholders recruiting and retaining corporate work sponsors to ensure financial sustainability.
- Leadership: Hires, manages, provides leadership and works closely with the Principal, who is charged with developing the academic and co-curricular program of the school including areas of: admission, academic affairs, ministry, student discipline, retention and non-academic programs.
- Planning: The President in collaboration with the Board of Specified Jurisdiction, the school administration, and the faculty, develops and executes a strategic long-range plan that is consistent with the mission of the school and the policies of the Archdiocesan Secondary School System.
- Policies and Programs: The President approves all school policies and programs, provided they are consistent with archdiocesan policies and stated mission of the school as a Catholic Community, an academic center, and an archdiocesan institution.
- Public Representation: The President represents the school in the public forum and personally meets with selected constituencies to improve school-community relations.
- Recruitment: With a mindset of growth, leadership, and innovation, ensures that we are pursuing the best talent in education as we seek to build outstanding schools.
- Retention: Works with the appropriate leadership to ensure that the school develops and evaluates all staff members.
- Resources: The President uses all available resources to provide scholarships and tuition assistance in order to make the school available to all who desire a Catholic education, support academic programs and enhancements, improve and maintain facilities, and provide for a safe, rigorous, relevant, quality education for all students.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced graduate degree in education or business administration.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders, build creative and mutually beneficial relationships with the philanthropic, corporate, public and nonprofit sectors.
- Exceptional leadership skills and positive experiences leading an organization.
- Proven fundraising and/or revenue generating success.
- Significant visionary leadership and management experience, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs but driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from stakeholders.
- Strategic planning experience and execution capabilities.
- Strategic enrollment management skills.
Must be a practicing Catholic as verified by the pastor of the parish in which the applicant is registered.
The salary for the President is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates for the position of President should submit their cover letter, resume, transcripts and salary requirements in one file. (Please scan copies together)
Complete application here.
PA required clearances and Safe Environment certifications and official transcripts will be required before employment can begin. Interviews will be granted to the most qualified applicants.
Deadline for Applications is September 26, 2017.